My Musings

Universal Truths

Juxtaposition (noun): The fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Perhaps Jane’s modern opening would be a little different. Perhaps people would balk at her one dimensional depiction of a man. Yet many things can be simultaneously true, as fertility struggles can so often prove.

In that vein, this short blog today, was inspired by something I saw on @wordporm’s Instagram account. Feel free to expand the list, by adding any of your own.

10 things that can be true at the same time

  • You can try to do everything right AND things can still go wrong  
  • You can be terrified to take the next step AND know it’s the right thing to do
  • You can be afraid to fail AND believe in yourself 
  • You can know that statistically there’s a 75% chance you won’t miscarry AND think you’ll be in the 25% that does 
  • You can smile and be happy AND still be sad and grieving 
  • You can fear that the ‘next’ pregnancy loss will be even worse AND know it’s unlikely anything that bad will happen 
  • You can’t imagine yourself carrying a baby to term AND picture yourself with a baby
  • You don’t think you’ll ever be pregnant again AND keep taking your pre-pregnancy pills (damn that folic acid)
  • You can be positive AND expect the worst 
  • You can try to be a good person AND have bad things happen to you  

If you would like to receive email notifications of new blogs from this website, please sign-up here:


(2) Comments

  1. Tori says:

    So true 💛

  2. Amy says:

    I love this. Reminds me of ending of Inside Out: Good and bad, happy and sad, anxiety and hope can exist simultaneously and that’s the painful, complicated messiness of being an adult in the world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *