Document (verb): Record something in written, photographic, or other form
This is going to sound so mental, but hey ho, I AM a mental person now. Today I want to make a list of all of the things I should do the ‘next time’ I only get a short time with my baby.
I never thought about this before having Summer (because, let’s face it: who would?), but I have the chance to think about it now. And to get it right.
I know why I’m doing this, it’s not to guilt-trip myself, it’s genuinely so that I have a checklist to refer to, if ever I need it (says the lady who’s not even begun to think about trying again – see, mental).
- Say “I love you”
- Skin-to-skin contact
- Sing a nursery rhyme
- Play music
- Hold their hand
- Name them quickly
- Say their name
- Read a bedtime story
- Measure their height
- Take the hand and footprints yourself
- Leave something behind for/with them, something of yours
- Bring them home
- Weigh them
- Kiss them
- Keep them with you all night
- Tell them stories
- Photograph them, every which way
- Dress them
- Bath them
- Whisper a secret
- Tell them your favourite things about James
- Tell them the best things about yourself
- Make videos
- Take a family photo
- Introduce them to some friends and family
- Be mindful: please try to remember everything
- Don’t sleep, don’t sleep, don’t sleep
If you want to add to this crazy lady’s list, you are genuinely welcome to. The more ideas the merrier.